Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Code (pt.2)

So we did watch the DaVinci Code on Friday night, as planned. There’s no point going on and on about it, I’ll be brief.

As I said in the previous entry, I liked the book a lot. I appreciated Brown’s extensive research and I liked the controversy it surfaced. It was about time someone challenged the power of the Vatican and how the higher rank priests use the poor and needy to get what they want and, more than anything else, forcing women to be inferior and stripped of any power and self-esteem.

To me, the movie was a fairly good representation of the events and characters described in the book. Silas was beautifully brought to life. Sir Teabing was more fascinating than in the book. Fache was just as stubborn and anal. The butler was fairly inconspicuous and cunning. Bishop Aringarosa was ok – not as impressive as I was expecting. The main characters did a pretty good job – Tom Hanks was spot on with the book’s Langdon. Sophie Neveu was sweeter on film than in the book.

What I really liked:

  • The choice of places was very accurate, with Teabing’s little house possible the most stunning house in France
  • The night photography in the Louvre and around Paris – truly, the most beautiful city in the world.
  • How Teabing visually explained everything about The Last Supper and Mary Madgalene
  • Roseline church and the crypt
  • The last scene, over the inverted pyramid.

There’s nothing I didn’t like, but these three things I hated:

  • Why the butler died at Docklands and not inside the Rolls Royce by the park, like in te book
  • Product-placement: one reason not to buy a Sony Ericsson
  • Why the hell did they swap the London library scene with the bus scene and the unnecessary internet search via the guy’s mobile? I know, probably for more product placement…

I really enjoyed the movie, not as much as the book of course. I’ll leave it at that. Let’s now stop being so critical and let’s just get on with our lives.

One last thing about the book… If at some point it turns out that it’s all true, can you just imagine how many movies would be made then?

No comments: