Friday, May 26, 2006

The Code (pt.1)

While catching up with last week’s UK news on telegraph.co.uk I came across one of Matt’s comic strips (no copyright contention here people, it's just a link!) - which prompted this blog entry.

I have stayed away from the DaVinci Code avalanche of opinions for as long as I could bare. But I cannot take it anymore!

As many of you already have, I read the book last year and I absolutely loved it. Not just because it is a fantastic story (yes, it is a story!) but mainly because it is challenging and brave to question some very fundamental beliefs who a large part of our society is adamant about.

So the book got a huge amount of criticism – no surprises there. And now the movie is getting slammed too.

I am sick and tired of people who upfront dismiss something they don’t agree with. I see it every day, on the train, at work, in news broadcasts. And I did exhale a silent ‘yesss!’ when Ron Howard said: ‘if you think you won’t like it, don’t go to see it”.

And then there are the Tom Hanks critics: “His performance and portrayal of Langdon is wooden”. Well, if you did read the book, Prof Langdon is not quite Einstein, is he? He needs help every step of the way, he’s not Indiana Jones (which is probably they didn’t cast Harrison Ford).

The plan is that we’ll watch the movie tonight. You have no idea how eager I am to re-live this wonderfully provocative story. And I can’t wait to see Jean Reno (Leon) and Alfred Molina (Chocolat), two of my favourite actors. So watch this space for the post-movie reaction…

No comments: