Wednesday, February 15, 2006

You (really!) had to be there...



Matchbox 20 was been from day one and still is one of my favourite bands. I was sad to see them breaking up and I was thrilled to see Rob Thomas carrying on with his songwriting and singing career.

The thing about Rob Thomas is that he seems really genuine. A well-balanced male who can write, talk and sing. No stunning beauty, no pin-up - an ordinary looking guy with a gift.

It just happens that Lesley has a thing about Rob. Rob's new album gets a lot of play at home and in the car. She loves the acoustic session that Matchbox 20 did a few years ago and the DVD finds its way to our screen often enough. And it's all about Rob connecting with te audience and telling stories while introducing the next song.

It just happened that Rob announced that he would play Melbourne on February 14th which also happens to be hir birthday. I am sure this was the biggest threat to Melbourne's younger male population. You try to be romantic with your girl and all she can think that night is Rob on (and perhaps off) stage. To me, hoerver, it was the perfect Valentine's day present :) but I will not elaborate further on this point. I am quietly gloating inside...

Rob played for 1 hour and 45 minutes. And to our silent requests, he played not just his new album but also all our favourite Matchbox 20 songs - the ones who really touch people, whatever their mood or circumstances. He also sang one of only three David Bowie songs I like. And the place went crazy. Totally.



He 's got a magnificent band together; The drummer is a character and a half, the guitarist is wild, the bass player seems to have his guitar fluidly connected to his body so that the music flows into him, the keyboard player/guitarist is cool with the keys and at the same time wild on his lap steel.

All in all, it was a fantastic night. I hope a DVD comes out soon. Last night's concert is now my favourite ever. It has just overtaken Nickleback's Long Road in 2004.

If any of you were there, I hope we share the same memory. If you are going tonight, be prepared to be moved.

2 comments:

Moshe Reuveni said...

I've only heard of Rob Thomas through Santana's Smooth, which I quite like.
What would you recommend as the guy / the guy's band best record to start with?

K Williams said...

Start with the first two Matchbox Twenty albums. Rob's only got one album to date, and it's equally good. Matchbox 20 did 3 albums, all very good.